Beginning January 2021
Updated: 15 December 2020
- All courses will be offered in 3-credit hour with additional electives. The requirements for the various programmes are illustrated in the attached charts.
- Greater emphasis will be given to Practical Theology where:
- All credit-hours under Field Education will be graded.
- Existing 2-credit hour courses on Practical Theology will be increased to 3-credit hour courses.
- Additional core courses will be introduced for undergraduate programmes.
- Various theological disciplines will be integrated into the curriculum.
- Additional attention will be given to courses reflecting local contexts.
- Thesis will be offered as an option for MDiv programme (but remains a core for students wishing to major an area of concentration).
- SEVEN areas of concentration for MDiv, BD, BTh programmes will be introduced:
- Biblical Study:
- (1) Old Testament,
- (2) New Testament,
- Theology and History:
- (3) Christian Theology,
- (4) Church History;
- Practical Theology:
- (5) Pastoral Care and Ministry,
- (6) Missiology,
- (7) Christian Spirituality and Worship.
- Students opting for a specific area of concentration will use the relevant electives, including a thesis or two research papers to fulfil the additional requirements.
- Biblical Study:
- The specific areas of concentration and electives will be offered subject to the availability of supervisors and lecturers.
- TWO entrance examinations will be introduced for new applicants:
- Bible Entry Exam: A course on “Bible Overview” will be required for students failing this exam.
- English Language (only for English track): Remedial English course will be required for students failing this exam.
From: The Academic Office, STM.
- Contents herein are subjected to periodic reviews by STM Academic Committee to enhance the quality and effectiveness of the programmes. Kindly refer to STM Web Site for the latest information.
- For details about list of courses offered, please contact the Academic Office; or visit the Course Descriptions page of STM Web site.
REQUIRED CREDIT HOURS FOR PROGRAMMES
SCHEME OF COURSES FOR PROGRAMMES
|Biblical Hebrew 1; Biblical Greek 1||√||√|
|Bible Overview; Inductive Bible Study||√|
|An Introduction to OT; An Introduction to NT||√||√||√|
|OT Exegesis: Pentateuch/ Historical Books / Poetic Books/ Prophetic Books/ Wisdom Literature *||√||√||√|
|NT Exegesis: Gospels/ Epistles/ Apocalyptic Books *||√||√||√|
|THEOLOGY & HISTORY|
|Christian Theology 1, 2, 3, 4; Church History 1, 2||√||√||√|
|Basic Christian Doctrines||√|
|Doing Theology in Asia / Intercultural Theology||√||√||√|
|Christian Ethics & Issues; World Religions||√||√||√|
|Malaysian Church History and Society||√||√|
|Basic Counselling||Either One||√||√|
|Evangelism in the Local Church||√||√|
|Cross-Cultural Missions; Sexuality & Marriage||√||√|
|Pastoral Leadership & Church Management||√||√||√|
|Christian Spirituality; Liturgy & Worship||√||√||√|
|Denominational Studies; Field Education||√||√||√|
|Electives (up to the required number of credit hours)||Options for students|
|Thesis / Research Papers + Electives in specific area of concentration (for those opting for an area of concentration)|
* To cover the required categories of books in the Bible for OT/NT Exegesis as stipulated in the curriculum of the respective programmes of study. For details, please refer to the Academic Office.