Gospel of Mark (A Core/Elective Module)stmweb
Lecturer: Mr Low Kwang Meng (MTh, TTC; PhD candidate, NUS)
Date: Online course begins on 16 June (Tuesday) for 14 weeks
Zoom ID and password will be provided.
An interdisciplinary approach to the Gospel of Mark, designed for a blended online study of the distinctive themes and the hidden criticism against its contemporary sociopolitical context embedded in the earliest Gospel. The course employs various scholarly methods in the study of a biblical text, including historical context, literary structure, theological outlook and distinctive themes. It is recommended that students should begin reading the Gospel as early as possible based on the translation of your choice (if possible, read the Greek text for those who know Greek) at least twice before the class.
Student who takes this course will:
- Understand the synoptic problem
- Understand the Book of Mark and the Jesus portrayed in the Gospel
- Understand the varied approach to read/interpret a biblical text
- Develop a holis9c sense of the story in its literary, theological, and geographical contexts
- Understand how to apply the ancient text to contemporary situations
The course will not cover the whole book, students are expected to complement the class with the recommended textbook and other resources on the Gospel of Mark.
For further information:
Email: email@example.com. Website: www.stm.edu.my
Level 3, Wisma Methodist, Lorong Hang Jabat, 50150 Kuala Lumpur